Malt by Akro

Ok so about two months ago, I visited a department store in London (the lovely Fenwicks) and to my surprise, I came across the @akrofragrances range of fragrances. I’d heard so much about them and as I sampled each of the scents, I realised why there’s been so much hype. 

I liked them all. My favourite however, was Malt, with its photorealistic whisky accord. 


I used to collect single malt whisky in my younger, crazier days - when perfume was a mere glint in the eye - and was always drawn to the darker, smokier, peated malt whiskies of the western Scottish isles, such as Islay. 


Here, the whisky is matured in barrels that are then left to be lashed and beaten by the winds whipping up off the Atlantic, and the sea breeze imparts a salty, seaweedy flavour to the liquor. 


Malt (the perfume) has been constructed around a single malt whisky accord, with supporting notes of rum, patchouli and seaweed. 


It’s this element of the composition that reminds me of my favourite scotch tipple. In fact, if I did a blind smell test, I don’t think I’d be able to separate them and so I’m now absolutely convinced the brilliant Mr Cresp, or his business partner / daughter Anaïs, share my excellent taste for the good stuff.


And yeah, this is really good stuff. It’s starts with a blast of warm, dark alcohol before transitioning to a whisky note with the seaweed adding a briny, marine accord. Actually on the dry down there’s also an estery note coming through, which will be familiar to anyone who has ever brewed beer. Beer, that other delicious alcoholic beverage famous for using malted barley as a main ingredient.


After all, this fragrance is supposed to be a celebration of vices, so why not bring beer to the table along with the spirits. It’s a party, everyone’s invited! But hey, at least this won’t give us all a headache in the morning! 

Purchase Malt by clicking here taking you through to Akro’s website.

Comments

Popular Posts